Monday, April 18, 2016

Orthodox Speaker Last Week

4-18-16

Last week we had a ultra orthodox speaker come and talk to us as a continuation of us learning about the different streams of Judaism. There is no other way to say this- we were all deeply offended. This was of course expected, but we were prepared to be open to other opinions and tried to be as respectful as possible. As I sat there I thought about one thing that we have been taught throughout our experience on EIE, be able to defend yet be open to be angry and be open to others. One thing that I knew he was going to say was that  we, as modern american reform Jews, we were not considered Jews to him.  Although I predicted this, I cannot say I was ok with this.  One thing that I really value as a reform Jew is the sense of community and the strength that connects Jews in a common thing. So because someone does not consider me Jewish, although I can respect their opinion, It hits me in a wrong way because those values are a huge majority of why I am proud to be Jewish. I strongly believe that there needs to be a middle ground  between the orthodox and reform and everything in between. I say this because it IS unity that connects the Jewish people and I believe after all that we have been through It is worth sharing the sense of pride in Jewish values

No comments:

Post a Comment