Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Article Response : As Jews leave Cochin, Muslim neighbors and friends tend to what remains of their heritage in India

3-8-16

In this article it talks about the small and dwindling Jewish population in India and how as the population dwindles in Cochin and what they do to preserve it. There are very little Jews and very little Muslims, because of the small ratio they tend to get along. One really interesting thing i found about this article was the good relationship between Muslims and Jews. It really shows the connection that people can have if they are put together in a smaller closer community. The aspect of religion in this community is thought of something beautiful and binding. A particularly beautiful quote is said by a man in this community is  : “Years later on his death bed, Jacob Uncle said, ‘My Sarah is alone and she doesn’t have any children, you have to take care of her like her son,’ ” Ibrahim explained. “I replied yes, I still keep my word and take care of her like my own mother. She is more than a mother to me even though I address her [as] ‘Sarah Auntie’ and I spend more of my time with Sarah Auntie than even my own family.” According to others in the community Sarah would no longer be alive were it not for the support of Ibrahim and Jasmine, who now run her shop for her. I really beliave that this article is a metaphor of the beauty of the jewish people. We are so strong that we can form connections from across the world and bring people together. This represents a small shed of hope we have in our conflicts. The culture in Cochin is dwindling but they are still trying their hardest to preserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment